Gluten Free Scandinavian
Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
1/4 cup coconut oil, liquified
3 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup applesauce
1 tablespoon Chia Seed meal (1 tablespoon meal is equal to about 1/2 tablespoons seeds)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1/3 cup almond meal/flour*
1/3 cup coconut flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add the oil, honey, applesauce, chia seed flour and vanilla in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer. Then add the tapioca flour, almond flour and coconut flour. Mix again.
- Roll into small balls and place on unbleached parchment paper.
- Use your fingers to create a drain and fill with raspberry or strawberry jam. Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes
- To make your own, just mix the whole almonds in a blender until it forms only food.
- Beat butter and sugar on high speed for about 3 minutes. Separate the eggs. Add the egg yolks and vanilla extract to the butter mixture. If using nuts place the egg whites in a shallow dish on the side and beat until bubbly and frothy (the egg whites are used to hold nuts cookies).
- Add the flour and salt. Mix until combined. Place the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes and preheat the oven to 350F.
- Roll dough into balls 1 inch in diameter. If using nuts, dip balls into egg whites and then roll in nuts until covered. Place the balls on baking sheets lined with parchment.
- Press down with your thumb to make a small hole in the center of the cookie. Do not press too hard or the cookie will fall apart. Fill with 1/2 teaspoon of jam.