Baumkuchen Cake Recipe - The King of Cakes From Europe
* 1 cup butter, room temperature
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 8 eggs (separated)
* 2 tablespoons dark rum
* 1 lemon zest
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1/3 cup minced almonds
* 1 cup flour, mixed with
* 2 tablespoons flour, mixed with
* 1 cup cornstarch
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch
* 1/2 cup apricot jam, melted
* Almond paste (optional)
* Powdered sugar (optional)
* Chocolate icing (optional)
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy good. Gradually add the egg yolks and rum zest, salt, almonds, flour and cornstarch mixture to the butter and sugar until it forms light, frothy mass.
- Whisk the egg whites until very stiff and gently fold into the batter.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of dough (a thin covering) in a 8-1/2 "greased with butter.
- On the top shelf of the oven, or broil in a preheated oven for 2 minutes or until golden. Watch carefully, this browning can take place very quickly.
- Repeat until all the dough is gone - you should have about 14 to 16 layers. When the cake is done, let stand a few minutes before running a sharp knife along the sides of the pan. Remove the cake from pan and glaze with melted apricot jam. Once the jam is set, you can add an additional diluted enamel almond paste or immediately finish the cake with a thin icing made of sugar or chocolate maximum possible quality (use your favorite chocolate).